Wednesday, April 30, 2014

52-Week Illustration Challenge, Week 18

Week 18 Heavenly body
Week 18: Celestial body

This is an iPhone photograph of a white styrofoam ball, painted with a few slaps of acrylic paint and mounted on a wire skewer in a glass.

I actually used some black cloth draping (ie. a pair of black boxer shorts and the top and bottom of my long thermal underwear), two sizes of star-shaped glitter tossed randomly, and an orange ping pong ball with a lick of paint. The shaft of light is from a battery-operated torch. Curious how I created the shot? Here's my secret booth for most of my indoor iPhone photography. The torch is wedged into the toilet roll holder, offscreen at right.

Week 18 Raw shot

Update:
Had to have another crack at this theme. Same elements as the first version, but I created some rings for the big planet by hot-laminating circles of yellow paper and gluing on some glitter. Light sources via a torch (wedged into the toilet roll holder), and the light-up model of the USS Enterprise ("Star Trek"). Smaller moons are represented by a bouncy ball, a ping pong ball and a foam clown nose. This image again took me about 15 minutes to assemble and photograph with my iPhone.

Week 18 Celestial body II
Week 18: Celestial body II

Nero vs Khan
Nero vs Khan

1 comment:

Therin of Andor said...

Woo hoo! I really don't know how Tania McCartney was able to decide. Amazing stuff popping in at the Challenge all week - and I'm thrilled one of my images (the first one) made the cut for Tania's picks!