Monday, September 17, 2007

Memories of the moon


Apollo 11

Today, I had to run a video about the Apollo 11 moon landing of 1969 to some six year olds. Talk about nostalgia! It really does seems like only a few years ago I was in Year 5, sitting towards the back of a school hall at Arncliffe Public School, straining to make out the moving monochrome blurs on a small television set positioned way up on the stage!

On the video today, the narrator suggested that - maybe - someone in the audience might know someone who once saw the moon landing as it happened. Yeah, like their grandparents!

1 comment:

Therin of Andor said...

I received a great email responding to the above post: from a teaching colleague whose son was recently asked to survey people's memories of the first Moon Walk.

The results included: his grandfather in UK (knew it happened, didn't watch as it was night and he was not interested); a UK friend in his 40s, whose mother let him stay up late and watch the lot; an Australia uncle, who noticed it on TV in a shop window (but wasn't particularly interested); an aunt, who watched it and remembered it well (it was her birthday); the teacher herself, who set up her own TV in the playground at lunchtime so as many kids as possible could crowd around; and her daughter, who was in Year 3 and remembers seeing it on TV at school (front row).

Checking some dates on Wikipedia, it must have been Sputnik 4 (15th May, 1960) that I was taken outside to see go overhead when I was a baby. My Mum would have been heavily pregnant with my brother, who was born two weeks later. I used to have Sputnik pyjamas when I was about six years old, and my grandfather often mentioned that he held me up to see Sputnik.

Then there was Sputnik 5 (19th August, 1960) - the one with two dogs, Belka and Strelka, 40 mice, two rats and some plant species. All the animals were recovered safely, which i remember my grandfather marvelling about.