Friday, March 23, 2007

Saturday in the Polling Booth, without a Clue

New South Wales goes to the polls tomorrow to elect a new state government. After helping to vote in some very unwise choices over the years - and then having to live with the resulting changes to education (Terry Metherill, remember him?), etc. - I gleefully voted Australian Democrats for several elections, so at least I knew I'd voted to "Keep the Bastards Honest".

But then, I began to notice that the Democrats couldn't even get enough volunteers to hand out their How to Vote cards at each polling booth. (I almost volunteered myself!) A few elections later, they shot themselves in the foot, then in the head.

Dunno what I'm going to do tomorrow...

After voting, I'm off to see a local production of the musical, "Sunday in the Park with George". Except I'm seeing it on a Saturday. With CH and Jonas.

3 comments:

Jean Prouvaire said...

While one of Sunday's themes is that art can act as a personal legacy in the same way that traditional family can, that message can by extension apply to any vocation. Art can reach out and affect people down the generations, but so can being a guiding presence to thousands of children in their formative years, and arguably in a way that is much more direct and consequential.

Of course, that's no excuse not to finish writing that novel. ;-)

Therin of Andor said...

Yes, precisely, which is why I wrote "from the arts" in my very next post, and what I was leading myself into acknowledging!

Jean Prouvaire said...

... which is the post I intended to respond to. argh.